• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

ANZAC DAY - LEST WE FORGET

daRque

Master
Reaction score
ANZAC DAY is the most important and emotional day of the year to me.

A day when we remember the fallen, the brave, those who placed the honour of their country above personal safety and never returned home to their loved ones.

If you have been in the military you understand, even if you haven't, you still understand because it brings us together as a country, united in the protection of the country we all love.

A tear or two will be shed today, in memory......................

Lest We Forget.

1682366149859.png

1682366267252.png

Dad fought in WW2 - he lost his best mate fighting the Vichy French in Syria and was wounded in New Guinea. He was one of many who fought and luckily got through it alive. Over 100,000 Australians didn't survive the various wars.

Lest we forget.

Last edited:
Like most people my age or older, I have family members (great uncles) who fought in WWI and WWII.

Lest we forget.

War is one of the great follies of mankind. Brave men and women led into war by egotistical politicians or despots.

It’s an important day for me, to reflect and remember the young men and women who have sailed/flown half way across the world to serve.

Their sacrifice should never be forgotten…those that fought and died and those that fought and survived, equally.

To me it’s a day of bitter reflection,the brutal waste of young peoples lives by kings,and emperors.The imperialist World War I was a travesty cast upon the innocent people of the world.
I did family history research and found no less than four cousins slaughtered in WWI.
One of the cousins died of wounds alone in a military hospital in Westphalia,Germany 1915 he was a member of the Black Watch 19 years old.Someone tell me where is the glory in that?
When travelling through the fields of Flanders you will see cemetery after cemetery full of young men.Our glorious dead?Bullshit!There is nil glory in being blown to pieces!
A pox on the barbarians masquerading as leaders!

Last edited:
One of the most important days of the year in my opinion for both our countries.

I'm still relatively young compared to some on here, I'm still in my 20's, and it really annoys me how a lot of people, especially my generation, see this as just a day off. It's not. As I said, it's one of the most important days of the year. Pay it some thought.

You wouldn't be living the life you are today, I wouldn't be here typing this right now, if it wasn't for the thousands of innocent people who served for our freedom. Never forget that and never take it for granted, especially today.

A very moving dawn service this morning and I am looking forward to the moving services at the Footy today, it's always special.

Lest we forget.

Nicely said Callmack,people should make the effort to attend the Villers Bretonneaux Dawn Service and tour the area.
The jingoists would soon stop glorifying war.
An epitaph on a Canadian /Scots soldiers tombstone.
”Perhaps one day we will understand” the poor soldiers brothers and sisters had provided this inscription.
Known only to God and Why What For?were common epitaphs?

ANZAC day is a day to remember those that fell at Gallipoli, we remember them.

Last edited:
Nicely said Callmack,people should make the effort to attend the Villers Bretonneaux Dawn Service and tour the area.
The jingoists would soon stop glorifying war.
An epitaph on a Canadian /Scots soldiers tombstone.
”Perhaps one day we will understand” the poor soldiers brothers and sisters had provided this inscription.
Known only to God and Why What For?were common epitaphs?
Known only to God was a very common epitath on the graves I saw - which led me to pen a poem in my head - so sad - Eric Bogle's songs on this are also sombre reminders as is the poem in Flanders fields - I was privileged to receive a bullet from Gallipolli at Anzac Cove and to to be given a private tour of a NZ dugout in Fromelles along with a German mortar shell case ( lucky that got through American customs on the way home - they did open the bag) - on a private tour by the mayor of Fromelles ( my grandfather was a Gallipolli and Western Front Veteran 1st 20th veteran - carried his battalions flag in the Sydney Anzac Day march until he was too unwell - was stored in the laundry at Pagewood - wounded in the early battle for Fromelles in May 1916 - lucky to survive his wounds - he was helped by a newly arrived surgeon who picked him out of the wounded in the corner (most died from infections) - the surgeon rebuilt his foot which was hanging by a thread - that surgeon later became King George VI surgeon- I have my grandfather's WWI diary and his medals - his diary is a very interesting read. A sobering trip for me.

Lest we forget!

Well said Mister T
The part that got me was the hard fact that the kin of the fallen soldiers were painfully aware that their boy had been slaughtered as reflected in the large number of kin questioning the validity of the cause!
Eric Bogle his song was a great inditement of the folly.And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda should be our national anthem
It was no.1 on the hit parades in Ireland,their young men were slaughtered at Gallipolli too!
I have a postcard from a cousin telling my father how he had just got back from Gallipolli and needed some Rhino ( money) An old term.
The part that got me was he didn’t let on that he was in hospital in Egypt with Neurosthania.( shell shock)
That cousin joined the 37th field artillery as a bugler post Gallipolli and was KIA in the Battle of Amiens.He was of the grand old age of 23y.o.

Latest posts

Back