• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Forward pack

Sonic Star

Grand Master
Reaction score
It doesn't get mentioned enough if at all.

But I think we have the most over-rated pack in the comp.

It's a very soft pack, no real aggression, no one intimidates anyone.

It's full of errors, coach constantly chops and changes them all the time so it lacks consistency.

It has 3 rep players, 4 if you want to include Cook but only 1 of them actually plays like a rep player and that is obviously Murray.

Play like marshmellows and it does make it harder for our halves to play behind a beaten pack week in and week out.

Throw the cheque book at Terrell May or someone with some balls

I agree. Over rated. Our backs at the moment are being hammered but the forwards don't dominate and help them along. God we need some intimidation from somewhere. Arrow is the closest we have and players are happy to run at him . Our forwards go through the motions and are adequate but can anyone remember a forward making a line break. We need a forward leader since Sam left. Cam is brilliant but we need a fear factor. Can't think who we have that can bring that. We have a team of nice guys. Give me a thug any day

It just needs tweaking.

Koala to the middle.

Keep Murray on an edge. There were some pretty good signs there. He got over the advantage line and looked good.

Start Duncan at lock and get his motor up. Build his minutes.

Shop Arrow and Cook off while we can. They are surplus to our needs and both on overs. Arrow is busted . The decision to sign him for four years madness.
Havili can cover hooker and lock from the bench. Ilias is another id line to try at hooker.
Keep hearing about no aggression , but young Moale is going pretty good IMO and shows plenty for a 20 year old.
I thought we showed plenty of aggression against Manly but just died in the ass.
Last week we played like under 8s. I actually thought Moale and Tom got us going forward well and helped get us back on level terms.
Tom is still one of the hardest forwards to bring down but his defence is letting him down at the moment.

In the defence of our forwards we pretty much have the same pack that carried us to 5 prelims on the trot and a GF.

It must get to them mentally at times with the lack of help they get from the backfield and our pop gun kicking game that makes their job a lot tougher.
Also our tendency to go for the try instead of grubbering in goal means we are rarely building pressure. Our contempt for the ball and mistake rate doesn’t help either.

Cook , Tom , Arrow.

That should leave us with a bit of cash to spend you would think.
Trouble is all the gun forwards were off contract last year.

We don't need a whole new pack. We need the current pack to perform to the level they are capable of. With the right training methods, work ethic and mental resilience instilled in them. I agree Cook should not have been re-signed for 3 years. We have the ingredients it is about utilising them to their full advantage. It seems as though this coaching staff is incapable of doing this.

Another 80 min workhorse would be nice too. Keon usually plays 80, but he's not of the burgess\murray breed.

We don't need a whole new pack. We need the current pack to perform to the level they are capable of. With the right training methods, work ethic and mental resilience instilled in them. I agree Cook should not have been re-signed for 3 years. We have the ingredients it is about utilising them to their full advantage. It seems as though this coaching staff is incapable of doing this.
We have too many middles and not enough quality on the edges.

We don’t have an alpha middle or a hard running, mobile edge that threatens. Not surprising that we struggle with our go forward and decoy runners that attract defenders in numbers.

Couldn't agree more. I admit that I am currently concerned about our pack and their lack of aggression, but this same pack bashed all three of the Broncos, Penrith, and the Storm just last year. They are capable, but just aren't doing it at the moment for some reason. That's the most frustrating thing.

The pack has room for improvement.

We’ll be a good pack again when Fletcher and Moale or Mitchell are first grade regulars performing well. Until then, we need to hold the fort.

Backline slow and forward pack lacking aggression and key players not having any idea. What has happened to our club?

The forward pack, apart from Murray, has no leg speed. We have too many of the same type of forward

Backline slow and forward pack lacking aggression and key players not having any idea. What has happened to our club?

I don’t see JD is the right fit for the squad. Rather be there mate and live in fantasy land saying we didn’t defend bad each week blah blah blah. Drops players who show some form and keeps the underperforming players in the side. None of JD signings have made the team better at his time at head coach.

And there is way to many older heads in the squad and he adds more in Jacob and Brock. We needed a freshen up in the squad and got basically nothing

Latest posts

Back