• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Redfern Farewell

captainsutto

Master
Reaction score
Apparently all the greats gathered at the oval today to bid farewell
Did anyone get notified or Did I miss the email to fans about it?

Apparently all the greats gathered at the oval today to bid farewell
Did anyone get notified or Did I miss the email to fans about it?
Yes, there was an email about the farewell open training session (not sure about the ‘greats’ being mentioned though). Several ‘greats’ are often there.

I’m not getting any emails from the club all of a sudden. It’s very annoying as I’m missing out on so much. Contacted the club and they said they would look into it. Called them back and they said it must be from my end. I have no idea. I definitely would have gone today.

I’m not getting any emails from the club all of a sudden. It’s very annoying as I’m missing out on so much. Contacted the club and they said they would look into it. Called them back and they said it must be from my end. I have no idea. I definitely would have gone today.
Hi @Valleyvoo, do you know if they are happening to end up in your spam folder? What email service provider are you using? Maybe we can help you troubleshoot.

I know certain platforms don’t play well with edm’s sent in bulk from marketers. As in, they don’t even go to a spam or junk folder. The mail server seems to block them completely. Have had it happen with sending stuff to hotmail/Microsoft accounts in the past.

Hi @Valleyvoo, do you know if they are happening to end up in your spam folder? What email service provider are you using? Maybe we can help you troubleshoot.
I have the Junk Folder but not in there as I check every day. I have hotmail. Thank you for helping.

Last edited:
How long have the boys been doing the “if you’re happy and you know it…”?

I like it btw. And the boys seem to love it.

Just seems to be a this year thing. Don’t remember it from previous seasons.

Not sure, but something tells me it may have originated on the overnight walk from Redfern to the new site? In the video I vaguely remember the instructor leading a similar exercise.

I like it as well.

Last edited:
My main memories of Redfern Oval was going to see Souths play there every week or so in the 70's, and watching us cop flogging after flogging. If we played okay or a fave player like Fahey had a good game, that was almost as good as a win.

The hot dog guy out the front, "getcha ya doggies, getcha hot doggies".

Other main memory was the first time I was allowed onto the oval during first grade training sessions for the photography book.

I recall the first time I did it, standing in the centre of the oval and thinking about all the blood sweat and tears that had been dripped onto this holy turf by legends like Lurch, Sattler, Piggins, Macca, etc etc etc, and here I was alongside the first grade side on the same oval. Humbling experience.

I'll always have a huge soft spot for Redfern Oval and I hope we never leave it behind completely.

I was dating my now wife of 35 years and I took her to a footy game. Souths v Canberra late 1987- last game at Redfern oval(?) WE got belted. it was a horrible way to say good bye.

Attachments

• redfern oval end 1.jpg
    redfern oval end 1.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 7
  • redfern oval end 2.jpg
    redfern oval end 2.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 7
My main memory of Redfern oval, was going there in the mid to late 70's with my older brother, who was also a keen Rabbitoh, whenever he was in Sydney, or I was.

We'd sit on those ****ing awful benches at the northern end of the ground, with a bunch of ferals (but our kind of ferals 🤣 ) and watch our team get belted by just about everybody.

Loved watching Terry Fahey play in particular because he was from the town we were living in at that point and played after my brother in the Group (?) tournament...can't remember what number we were.

It's funny...Redfern was a shit ground with shit facilities, but I wish we were still playing there today.

Heading down yesterday to watch the open training session was wonderful. Loved to see the stands full of young kids and everyone having a great time.

would love to watch one more game there

I remember sitting with my mother and father down the south end on the hard wooden seats.From there we could see the small hill alongside the dressing sheds where the greatest RL player known to humanity used to sit with his wife.
Clive would fuss over her arranging a blanket on the poorly kept grass to her satisfaction.
Later when the teams ran out onto the field Clive with his sleeves rolled up would wave to his wife.The Redfern crowd would go bonkers!
Those were the days my friends!

How long have the boys been doing the “if you’re happy and you know it…”?

I like it btw. And the boys seem to love it.

Just seems to be a this year thing. Don’t remember it from previous seasons.
It looks to be a new thing. This year is definitely the first time I have seen it.

Latest posts

Back