• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Match Discussion Round 15: Rabbitohs vs Dragons

Callmack1

Staff member
Reaction score
A new week brings with it preparation for a new Round, a new game, a new challenge. It's an exciting one this week as we get a very rare Saturday afternoon game against one of our biggest and most traditional rivals in the Dragons. Our rivalry with them is very rich as vast and it stretches back nearly 100 years. I know some people dispute that because of the merger, but that's the way I'll always see it. They're a traditional rival so it's always a big game against them. Both teams don't like each other, and it's been that way for many, many years. Looking forward to continuing it all this Saturday.

It's no secret that the Dragons are having an incredibly tough year. Sitting last on the ladder, they've sacked their coach, the playing group are apparently not happy and at the moment, they're kind of just in disarray. They have looked very very poor at times this year. However, somewhat ironically, they've found a little bit of form since they've sacked Griffin. A great win over the Roosters, and then they pushed Penrith all the way last night which to be honest, was a bit of a concern when you think about it in terms of our game this Round. I'm expecting them to continue that slight little purple patch this weekend and really stick it io us. When you're last on the ladder and floundering, every game is like a Grand Final and I expect them to be just as desperate on Saturday. They're down on their luck but they're a proud club and will be going hammer and tong to get themselves out of the position they're currently in.

For us, we must be ready for that and not go into this one thinking it's going to be an easy win. I think we've been a bit guilty of doing that the past three weeks and it's showed. We rectified it in the second half over the weekend so we need to carry that focus and form into this one. The moment you let the foot off the gas and think you're going to win easy, is the moment you suffer an embarrassing loss to the bottom of the table. So, we need to get this right. It's all about attitude this week. Of course, this is the kind of game we should be winning, but there are no guarantees in the NRL and we need to earn it. It's all about defence for this one. We've dropped our standards and enough is enough. We can't keep going on like we are. We need to go back to what we were doing the first 11 Rounds. If we can't find the defensive resolve this week, I'm concerned we may have fully lost it. That must be the focus this week. Our attack will be fine, that's not the issue, but I'd be aiming to keep the Dragons under 18 this week, hopefully even less. Anything else is not acceptable. The task is made a bit harder by the fact that we'll be missing a few. Certainly Cam, Jai and Tom, our three best forwards, but Latrell is no sure thing either. This week will be a case of everyone having to lift and just get the job done regardless of who's out there.

We can do this! Even with a depleted team, I expect a good week this week. Don't care how it happens, just get the win and get out of there so we can have a well-earned rest in Round 16. A must win game this one. We cannot drop this going into the bye so a very important game in our Season. Very much looking forward to it! Hurry up and get here Saturday!

An interesting game this week.

On paper 3rd vs 17th.

But I watched the Dragons game last night and they played well - and still managed to lose of course.

Penriff were lucky they had a halfback on the bench to replace Cleary.

Anyway…this is not an easy game - Particularly at Jubilee - and I’m sure that the coaching team are ensuring that this is clearly understood.

We’ve also added to our bulging injury ward, which rarely gets a mention by the press.

The Rorters have a hangnail and it’s the worst injury crisis ever seen, but we have a number of players out, and it’s “nothing to see here”.

Anyhoo - rant over. But we just need to be clinical, fix our defensive structures on the right and win…please.

Last edited:
We are going to be without Cam and Jai this week. I think we need to go with Host and Chee Kam in the backrow this week and have Keaon start at lock.

Duncan on the bench with Cartwright.

I don’t know if JD will rush either Moale or Havili in now that we will be without these 2. I’m just assuming that they won’t risk Cam no matter what the scans say.

The Dragons will be without DeBelin. A huge loss for them as he has been playing well.

We will still have the team to beat them. Play with the energy and effort of the second half from Saturday night and we should have no issues. Play like we did the first half and we will struggle.

Bring Duncan in for Murray.

Taaffe likely to the bench for Arrow to cover Latrell's return.

I'd also swap our props around a bit, start Shaq or DSF in for Tatola who hasn't been great starting lately.

Assuming Moale is fit, I dont see the problem with him coming back. Hes only been out 4-5 weeks? After playing NRL all year. Sure he can handle 20-30 minutes.

Completely different to Havili who hasn’t played a game since like September.

Team could be something like this:-

Trell
AJ
Tass
Graham
Kennar/Milne
Cody
Illias
Tatola
Cook
Shaq
Keon
Host
Sele

DSF
Chee Kam
Moale
Duncan

So Tom, Jai and Cam injured, Havilli in reserves and I guess Jed injured again.
JD will prob pick Kennar again.

This is going to be a tough game, the Dragons are a better team than their ladder position indicates. I can’t see this being a walk in the park by any means particularly with the hole in our forwards strength.
It will be a jump in standard from what the Titans dished up. Remembering what happened last season has me very cautious.

De Belin won’t be playing, which is a reasonable out for them.

It was a pretty disturbing sight yesterday I’ve gotta say and props to Fox Sports for not showing replays ad nauseam.

The Dragons’ entire attack revolves around Ben Hunt…so keep him quiet and we win easily.

Keeping him quiet is the challenge.

You'd think with our spine in tact and Campbell & Keon verging on an origin call up we will have too much for them. As Prowsey said eveything revolves around Hunt but I wonder if he'll go easy to save himself for origin? Why risk injury when you're coming last? :p

With a 3pm Saturday arvo game we should see some grand ball movement from us!

Last edited:
This a must win - if we drop games like this then we are dead lucks in terms of the top two. I think we should roll over them easily especially with our first grade backline in tact. While the Dragons have been playing well (for them) and over the season have jagged a couple of fine wins, they are just not up to our standard even with three of our best forwards missing.

Ben Hunt and his kicking game is the danger.

Cheers

Team could be something like this:-

Trell
AJ
Tass
Graham
Kennar/Milne
Cody
Illias
Tatola
Cook
Shaq
Keon
Host
Sele

DSF
Chee Kam
Moale
Duncan

So Tom, Jai and Cam injured, Havilli in reserves and I guess Jed injured again.
JD will prob pick Kennar again.
Only last week I said "Never again for Knight" but he was very impressive in our State Cup win playing against a big strong pack (though a State Cup standard one). He didn't last ten minutes against the Raiders - maybe he was sick because he certainly went down and looked exhausted.

Moale and Havili can come through the State Cup side which will give them another game next week when the NRL side have the bye. I think Sele's form has been a little down but the prop rotation worked well last week - start with Tatola and Sele, then bring on Shaq and DSF for 35 minutes (including over half time) then finish with the starting props. Both the bench players did well - Shaq literally played himself into the ground and he will be better for more match fitness. DSF is doing more than enough to hold his place.

I'd start with Koloamatangi, Host and Knight (gulp). I'd like to see Duncan on the bench but JD will probably opt for Cartwright and Chee Kam.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back